MPV of the Year 2018: Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer
The Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
While affordable seven-seat SUVs have stolen sales from traditional people carriers, if you’re after the most effective way of transporting seven adults and their gear, there’s no contest: you still need an MPV. And there’s no better choice than Citroen’s Grand C4 SpaceTourer.
Despite a recent name change, the model is our reigning MPV class champion and takes the title for the fifth year in a row. Any MPV has to be family friendly, and with the roomy seats in the third row, lots of space in the second row and a large windscreen flooding the cabin with light, the Citroen has space covered.
It also offers plenty of versatility, because you can slide the middle row of seats to prioritise legroom or boot space in five-seat configuration, while all five rear seats fold individually.
There’s a strong 165-litre luggage capacity with all seven seats in place, rising to a maximum of 793 litres in five-seat from. Fold the second row down, too, leaving a completely flat load space, and you get a small van-rivalling 2,181 litres.
New engines and an eight-speed automatic transmission are part of the overhaul and help to keep things fresh, while the connectivity available includes Apple CarPlay and a WiFi hotspot. A power tailgate is also offered.
The twin-screen infotainment looks great and is relatively easy to operate. The good-looking cabin has been thoughtfully designed as well, but doesn’t compromise on functionality.
There are efficient downsized turbocharged petrol units on offer, yet don’t discount the 1.6 and 2.0-litre turbodiesels; they serve up good torque, plus strong refinement and fuel economy.
The standard manual box isn’t the nicest shifter, but the auto suits the car’s relaxed character. With claimed economy of up to 74.3mpg and emissions as low as 100g/km, the frugal SpaceTourer has it all.
Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer BlueHDi 120 Feel (£24,295)
The BlueHDi 120 engine has enough torque and means the Citroen delivers acceptable performance even when fully loaded, while Feel trim comes packed with kit for a fair price. These features make the most of its convincing refinement, so it’s worth spending the extra for a few more creature comforts.
Renault Grand Scenic
The Grand Scenic is a stylish MPV that mixes versatility with SUV-like design. It’s not as practical as the Citroen, but has a slick cabin with tablet-style infotainment. All this isn’t at the expense of usability; the Renault is a stylish, versatile seven-seater that’s surprisingly good to drive.
SEAT’s ageing Alhambra MPV still has lots of appeal as family transport. It doesn’t feel as fresh as the Renault, but it’s bigger than the Citroen and offers a charm that’s helped by the practical sliding rear doors. The SEAT mixes this with a rewarding chassis for an MPV because its handling impresses.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended