Supermini of the Year 2018: Ford Fiesta
The Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
The Ford Fiesta arrived in the UK just after our New Car Awards last year, but even after 12 months on sale its ability isn’t anything less than class leading. This supermini is now in its eighth generation, and you can easily see why it’s been Britain’s best-selling car for a decade.
The combination of affordability, impressive driving dynamics, practicality and infotainment is a big draw for buyers, and when you mix this with Ford’s attractive PCP finance deals (how most people in this sector buy) it’s a winner.
The 99bhp 1.0-litre EcoBoost is the engine to go for. This award-winning three-cylinder turbo petrol unit is punchy, delivers all the performance you’d need and matches this with economy as long as you’ve not got a lead foot, as with any supermini.
It’s planted in the nose of a genuinely entertaining chassis as well, regardless of this car’s price point and intended use. The steering is sharp and just the right weight, while the suspension set-up keeps its composure, allowing you to exploit the Fiesta’s agility.
Clearly, comfort is just as important in a car from which so many drivers will demand so much, and here it delivers, too, with a level of control and maturity that few superminis can match.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
In fact, the Fiesta’s new-found maturity shows how far this car and this class have come. Ford’s SYNC 3 infotainment system is a fine example of this. An eight-inch screen is standard on higher-spec models and optional lower down in the range. It’s available with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, with sat-nav standard on many versions.
Crucially, the screen is well placed in the dash; that’s been part of a major revamp of the Fiesta’s interior, improving not only ergonomics but also functionality. The layout is more logical than in the previous Fiesta, plus there’s extra storage for smartphones, while quality has taken a step up.
However, what’s true to the Fiesta’s character is its fun-to-drive feel, and as it uses an evolution of Ford’s global B small car platform, it still has this in spades. The combination of improvements to refinement and practicality, helped by a 292-litre boot, means the Fiesta can now be used as a family runaround for many, and the car’s dynamic ability ensures the affordable Ford cements its position as the king of the class.
Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 100 Zetec 5dr (£16,465)
In relatively modest Zetec trim, you still get plenty of kit. Smartphone connections provide nav, or you can upgrade to the larger built-in system if you’d prefer. We’d opt for the 99bhp 1.0 EcoBoost engine; it’s refined and powerful enough to make the Fiesta genuinely enjoyable on the right road. For only an extra £650, the five-door offers more practicality, too.
A recent facelift hasn’t diluted the MINI’s appeal. In fact, more personalisation options have enhanced what’s always been good about the British-built car, while in Cooper spec the strong 1.5-litre engine and engaging chassis mean this is one of the most fun hatches on sale. You no longer pay the price on practicality if you go for the five-door, too.
Last year’s winner in this class gets a deserving mention here because it remains one of the roomiest superminis around. As with the Fiesta, the Ibiza really can be used as a compact family car. Slick infotainment, a range of punchy and efficient turbo petrol engines, and affordable pricing for the kit on offer mean it’s a top pick.
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year - currently readingThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended