Compact Executive Car of the Year 2018: Mercedes C-Class
The Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
The pace of progress in the automotive sector is relentless, especially in the ultra-competitive compact executive class. These junior saloons need to offer prestige and practicality mixed with tech, a decent turn of performance without compromising efficiency and plenty of refinement.
Thanks to its recent updates, the new Mercedes C-Class serves up all of these things, making it the most compelling package in this market.
As in many areas of the business, buyers here are increasingly turning to petrol, and engines in the C-Class comprise a new 1.5-litre and a 2.0-litre turbo petrol, alongside the usual range of torquey, frugal diesels – including a refined new 2.0 carried over from the larger E-Class. So the line-up is strong.
The C 200 d is manual only, while all other engine options are linked to Mercedes’ super-smooth nine-speed automatic. The lower-powered petrol is surprisingly punchy and refined as long as you keep a lid on the revs; you don’t need to thrash it because this 181bhp unit is boosted by Mercedes’ EQ Boost 48v mild-hybrid system, which adds an extra 13bhp to keep things relaxed.
Emissions are crucial in this sector because many drivers are fleet users, and with the C 220 d emitting just 117g/km of CO2 and returning up to a claimed 61.4mpg, it should be affordable to run.
Comfort will be another strong trait. There are more dynamic saloons, but the C-Class’s flowing approach means long journeys shouldn’t be taxing.
That’s reinforced by the classy cabin. Quality is first rate, while the upgraded infotainment system – including a new digital dash feature – adds a hi-tech air to the quiet and comfortable interior.
With up to 455 litres of boot space, the C-Class delivers the level of usability buyers in the compact executive saloon market require, matched by a roomy cabin that’s nicely trimmed.
Mercedes C 220 d AMG Line (£38,835)
Diesel still dominates here, and the C 220 d is our pick, featuring the 191bhp 2.0-litre that made its debut in the larger E-Class. It blends effortless cruising ability with strong efficiency and solid refinement to make the C-Class a fine all-rounder. This car has pace to match, and in sporty and stylish AMG Line trim there’s a good level of kit. It’s affordable enough to add some choice options, too.
Alfa Romeo Giulia
If you’re after a dynamic compact exec, the Alfa Giulia should be on your shortlist. It’s at its best with the sweet, raspy turbo petrol engines which blend performance, involvement and refinement. The infotainment isn’t the quickest, but as a driver’s car with a premium image, mixing easy cruising with real thrills, the Alfa is a great choice.
It’s held the top spot in this class for three years, and while Jaguar’s XE has to give best to the Mercedes C-Class in 2018, it’s still a fine choice due to its dynamic ability. It’s not quite as pointy as the Alfa, but the Jag balances this enjoyable edge with a cabin that’s improved in quality, lots of usability and a very different image to its rivals’.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the Year - currently readingThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended
- 16Large Premium SUV of the YearThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2018 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover commended
- 17MPV of the YearThe Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer is the 2018 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 18Roadster of the YearThe Mazda MX-5 is the 2018 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the McLaren 570S Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Coupe of the YearThe Lexus LC is the 2018 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi A5 and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 20Hot Hatch of the YearThe Honda Civic Type R is the 2018 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Fiesta ST and Hyundai i30 N commended
- 21Performance Car of the YearThe Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2018 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Aston Martin Vantage and BMW M5 commended
- 22Luxury Car of the YearThe Mercedes S-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Continental GT and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Affordable Electric Car of the YearThe Hyundai Kona Electric is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Electric Car of the Year, with the Nissan Leaf and Volkswagen e-Golf commended
- 24Premium Electric Car of the YearThe Jaguar I-Pace is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Electric Car of the Year, with the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Affordable Hybrid Car of the YearThe Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in is the 2018 Auto Express Affordable Hybrid Car of the Year, with the MINI Countryman and Toyota Prius commended
- 26Premium Hybrid Car of the YearThe Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Hybrid Car of the Year, with the BMW 530e and Range Rover Plug-in commended
- 27Pick-up of the YearThe Mitsubishi L200 is the 2018 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Mercedes X-Class commended
- 28Van of the YearThe Mercedes Sprinter is the 2018 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit Custom and Volkswagen Crafter commended
- 29Technology AwardThe Nissan Leaf wins the Auto Express 2018 Technology Award for its bi-directional charging
- 30Social Media Campaign of the YearJeep's 'Set your own course' has won the 2018 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 31Car Advertising Campaign of the YearVolkswagen's 'Born Confident' advert for the new T-Roc has won the 2018 integrated advertising campaign awarC
- 32Driver Power AwardLexus has scooped the 2018 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm once again
- 33Design AwardWe asked you what your favourite car design is for 2018, and the Aston Martin Vantage has taken the crown
- 34Anniversary Awards – Auto Express, evo and OctaneWe celebrate 30 years of Auto Express, 20 years of evo and 15 years of Octane with our special Anniversary Awards