Coupe of the Year 2018: Lexus LC
The Lexus LC is the 2018 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi A5 and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
When Lexus revealed the LF-LC concept at the 2012 Detroit Motor Show, few people thought the coupe would make it to production looking that good – us included. Surely Lexus wouldn’t be brave enough to bring out such a bold production car?
Rarely are we so happy to be that wrong. The Lexus LC is every bit as special to look at as its concept, and to drive one is just the same.
We love the hi-tech approach to making a hybrid powertrain and CVT gearbox work well, offering efficiency and smooth cruising in this luxury two-door coupe, as well as strong performance. But if speed is what you’re after, the V8 model should be your pick. The bellowing engine is a joy to drive, revving hard and with a wonderful howl. Even the transmission delivers quick enough shifts, while at a more sedate pace the Lexus is a consummate cruiser.
The handling is a delight, too, with plenty of grip and poise. There’s also a fair amount of comfort and refinement on the motorway, confirming the LC’s credentials as a grand tourer. Around town the composed ride and V6 hybrid mean you’ll even be able to get under way using electric power alone, while the boost from the battery and motors provides assistance when it’s needed.
As with all Lexus models, the quality of the car is outstanding inside and out. The only slight drawback is the infotainment. That’s a shame, because with a better system the Lexus would be even more impressive overall.
Lexus LC 500h (£76,595)
The hybrid LC will be a wise choice for most owners, because it has plenty of performance, despite claimed economy of 44.1mpg. It still handles beautifully, too. However, the V8 model is the same price to buy, and its powertrain will excite enthusiasts much more.
Thehandsome two-door A5 follows the same template as its successful predecessor by providing similarly sleek lines and a surprising level of practicality. Also, as we’ve come to expect from Audi, its interior simply oozes premium appeal and features a range of the latest technology.
Porsche 718 Cayman
For keen drivers, coupes don’t come much more exciting than the Porsche 718 Cayman. Although the engines have lost some of their character, they’re ruthlessly effective, delivering huge straight-line performance. Factor in a sublime chassis and the Cayman is still a top choice.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended