Family Car of the Year 2018: Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport
The Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
Space is one of the biggest priorities for a car in this class, and the Insignia Grand Sport delivers it by the shedload. It’s most notable in the back, where the Vauxhall’s vast rear cabin means that there’s more than enough room to manoeuvre a bulky child seat into place and still huge reserves of knee and headroom once the kids have grown.
All of the kit you’ll ever need for family life can be swallowed by a generous 490-litre boot, while the Vauxhall’s enormous hatchback opening gives great access and lots of practicality.
The Insignia’s cabin looks smart, is solidly put together and well equipped. All models get at least air-con and a seven-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus 17-inch alloy wheels, LED tail-lights and cruise control.
The car mixes excellent refinement with capable handling. It’s at its best on a long cruise, where the smooth ride, comfortable seats and strong refinement help the miles pass by easily.
There are two petrol engines or, if you do higher mileages, a choice of four torquey diesels. Also, a GSi Nav trim is available that adds a sportier flavour and power without sacrificing practicality.
We’d stick to the more affordable models, where the Insignia’s tempting pricing clinches its crown. Starting from £18,780, it undercuts some rivals by several thousand pounds, but is also priced competitively with cars from the class below. Factor in appealing monthly finance offers and the Insignia Grand Sport looks a real bargain.
Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport 1.6 Turbo D (136) Design Nav (£20,435)
With a car that majors so strongly on value, it makes sense to go for the version that’s among the cheapest to run. Design Nav has a generous kit tally plus built-in sat-nav as part of an upgraded eight-inch touchscreen that features the same strong smartphone connectivity. The 1.6-litre diesel provides enough grunt for a fully loaded car, but claims 65.7mpg and CO2 emissions of 114g/km.
The three-time winner of our family car category gives way to the Insignia this year. But there’s still plenty to recommend the Superb; it’s generously proportioned inside, comes loaded with clever storage spaces and has a vast boot. A wide choice of petrol and diesel engines mixes strong performance with impressive economy as well.
Base your buying decision on running costs alone and the Prius is tough to overlook. Hybrid tech makes for great real-world fuel economy, yet it’s squeezed into a package that’s practical, comfortable and relatively fun to drive. A fourth place overall finish in our Driver Power 2018 rankings, and third in the reliability category, also give peace of mind.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the Year - currently readingThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended