Pick-up of the Year 2018: Mitsubishi L200
The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2018 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and Mercedes X-Class commended
The Mitsubishi L200 is turning into the Mercedes S-Class of the pick-up category, because it wins for the fourth year running. No rival serves up the same balance of rugged versatility, kit and value.
Mitsubishi offers utilitarian single and Club-cab versions for the toughest jobs, but the double cab is the model of choice for business users who need a work vehicle during the week and family transport at the weekends. Go for a Warrior, Barbarian or the limited-run Barbarian SVP II version, and the kit you get for your cash means you’ll experience the trappings of a top-spec SUV, too.
Under the bonnet is a strong 2.4-litre turbodiesel that allows the L200 to carry an impressive payload for a double-cab pick-up, at 1,050kg, while it’s also able to tow a 3.5-tonne trailer. Throw in Mitsubishi’s Super Select 4WD system, which allows the driver to switch between rear or four-wheel drive with the flick of a rotary controller, as well as low-range gears, and the L200 has more go-anywhere ability than most buyers are ever likely to need.
If you’re not maximising its carrying capacity, the L200 is reasonably refined for a pick-up. It works best when there’s a heavy load in the bed to help settle the ride, but the amount of bounce you experience from the rear end isn’t harsh enough to be off-putting when you’re driving it empty. This really is a pick-up truck that is worth considering over a conventional SUV, and if you add a load cover, it transforms the bed into a vast boot.
The real attraction of pick-ups like the L200 is the favourable Benefit in Kind rates for which they qualify. As they are classed as light commercial vehicles, there’s a flat rate of tax to pay, and company car buyers at the wheel will face tax bills that are similar to a supermini rather than an SUV.
Mitsubishi L200 2.4 Double Cab Warrior manual (£31,026 incl VAT)
While the Barbarian model and SVP special edition get more kit, the Warrior is better value for money. It’s nearly as well equipped as a Barbarian, including leather, climate control and a rear-view camera, and offers the same practicality and driving ability.
The Ranger offers something different in the pick-up truck class, with cabin quality lifted from Ford road cars. The latest SYNC 3 infotainment declutters the dash of buttons and is more user-friendly than ever. A potent five-cylinder diesel gives extra pulling power, although most buyers will be happy with the punch of the four-cylinder.
Mercedes has hit the bullseye with its first double-cab pick-up. Under the skin, the X-Class uses the Nissan Navara as its base, but it has been overhauled to deliver the cabin quality you’d expect from Mercedes, and it has the smoothest ride of any pick-up in the class. Yes, you pay for the privilege, but it’s worthwhile if you want Merc luxury in a utilitarian body.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2018
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2018 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK today? The 2018 New Car Awards have the answer...
- 2Car of the YearThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2018 is the all-electric Jaguar I-Pace
- 3City Car of the YearThe Volkswagen up! is the 2018 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2018 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the MINI 5-door and SEAT Ibiza commended
- 5Convertible of the YearThe MINI Convertible is the 2018 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet commended
- 6Compact Family Car of the YearThe Volkswagen Golf is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Mercedes A-Class and Skoda Octavia commended
- 7Family Car of the YearThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the 2018 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Toyota Prius commended
- 8Compact Executive Car of the YearThe Mercedes C-Class is the 2018 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE commended
- 9Executive Car of the YearThe BMW 5 Series is the 2018 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Volvo S90 commended
- 10Estate Car of the YearThe Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2018 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Volvo V60 commended
- 11Small SUV of the YearThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the 2018 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the SEAT Arona and Volkswagen T-Roc commended
- 12Mid-size SUV of the YearSkoda is on a roll, and the Karoq is proof that the Czech brand knows exactly what it’s doing in the field of family SUVs.
- 13Large SUV of the YearThe Skoda Kodiaq is the 2018 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Peugeot 5008 and SsangYong Rexton commended
- 14Small Premium SUV of the YearThe Volvo XC40 is the 2018 Auto Express Small Premium SUV of the Year, with the BMW X1 and MINI Countryman commended
- 15Mid-size Premium SUV of the YearThe BMW X3 is the 2018 Auto Express Premium Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Volvo XC60 commended