New Car Awards 2014: Safety Award
Nissan Safety Shield wins this year's Safety Award, part of the Auto Express New Car Awards 2014
Few manufacturers are taking safety as seriously as Nissan. In the past year, the brand’s rolled out its clever Safety Shield tech on a huge range of cars, from the compact Note to the Qashqai crossover.
Unlike many rivals that try to minimise injuries to occupants during a crash, Nissan’s kit attempts to prevent the collision in the first place. As a result, the package features a suite of systems that aims to keep the driver safe and on track.
As well as the usual blind spot monitoring and lane departure warning, there’s low-speed collision avoidance. Added to this is a surround view camera option that takes the stress out of parking, plus a moving object detector that alerts you if cars or pedestrians stray into your path as you reverse. Other kit includes road sign recognition cameras, high beam assist and driver drowsiness monitors.
Yet there’s more to Safety Shield than the tech currently available on Nissan cars. Engineers are feverishly working on the next-generation features that could help eradicate smashes, from intelligent 360-degree monitors to autonomous driving. The brand aims to have a driverless car on sale by 2020.
In the meantime, you can buy a Nissan knowing the hi-tech systems under the skin are constantly working to keep you safe on the road. Peace of mind doesn’t come any greater than that.
- 1IntroductionWe reveal the best new cars on sale today in every sector of the market, plus we name our overall 2014 Car of the Year
- 2Car of the Year 2014The British-built MINI is Auto Express' Car of the Year 2014
- 3City Car of the YearThe Skoda Citigo is the 2014 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Hyundai i10 and Toyota Aygo commended
- 4Supermini of the YearThe Ford Fiesta is the 2014 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Dacia Sandero and Peugeot 208 commended
- 5Premium Small Car of the YearThe MINI is the 2014 Auto Express Premium Small Car of the Year, with the Audi A1 and Citroen DS3 commended
- 6Small Family Car of the Year The SEAT Leon is the 2014 Auto Express Small Family Car of the Year, with the Mazda 3 and Volkswagen Golf commended
- 7Family Car of the Year The Mazda 6 is the 2014 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Superb and Vauxhall Insignia commended
- 8Estate Car of the Year The SEAT Leon ST is the 2014 Auto Express Estate of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series and Skoda Octavia Estate commended
- 9MPV of the Year The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the 2014 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Picasso and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 10Crossover of the Year The Nissan Qashqai is the 2014 Auto Express Crossover of the Year, with the Citroen C4 Cactus and Mazda CX-5 commended