Vredestein Wintrac Pro review
The Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
The Wintrac Pro is starting to show its age because we first tested it in 2019. It finished last in the two snow tests but only a few percentage points behind our overall winner and close to the best. In the wet and dry the gap was bigger, though.
It was weakest in the wet, where it lacked the balance of rivals, with a rear that moved a little too much for comfort off the throttle. It also struggled in the tight sections of the handling track, with a long wait on the throttle for the front to grip. Once it had hooked up, care was needed with the throttle because it was easy to lose traction.
It was better in the dry, where it was close to the pace and had a decent handling balance. It is also one to consider if cabin noise is a priority.
Dutch producer’s five-year-old design is struggling to stay with much newer rivals who have raised the performance bar.
A slightly lesser-known tyre, but the reviews are positive. They particularly focus on the tyre’s performance in the wet and give a score of 4.5 out of 5.
|Vredestein Wintrac Pro|
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe push a selection of winter tyres to the max in all conditions to see which is Britain's best
- 2Continental WinterContact TS 870A strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
- 3Bridgestone Blizzak LM005The Blizzak LM005 won our snow braking and snow traction tests, and was close to taking top spot overall
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
- 5Hankook i*cept RS3The Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
- 6Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2The Pirelli was on the pace in the dry, but struggled for stability in the downhill stop
- 7Michelin Alpin 6Fuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
- 8Vredestein Wintrac Pro - currently readingThe Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
- 9Alternative tyre choicesNot sure about winter tyres? Here are two other options
- 10Results by categoryWhich winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all