Used Renault Clio (Mk4, 2012-2019) - What should you look for?
It doesn’t have the greatest reputation for reliability, but the quality has improved over recent years
It has its fair share of problems, but the Renault Clio should be no less reliable than rival superminis of the same age. There are plenty to choose from, so you can afford to be picky, while improvements over the car’s life mean the later cars are better than the earliest models.
Common used Renault Clio problems
Standard sat-nav doesn’t allow full postcode searches. An upgrade is less than a fiver, but it’s a fiddly process.
Ignition coils can fail, leading to poor running. Replacing the coil for around £40, plus fitting, solves the issue
Tyre pressure-monitoring sensors aren’t always very robust; the only option is to replace them.
Sensors for the anti-lock brakes can also fail. If there’s a fault it’ll be given away by a warning light on the dash.
Eight recalls is no cause for celebration. Two were for possible front brake hose chafing damage caused by the wheelarch liner. Another was for potential fuel leaks, while wheels falling off prompted two more.
The rear spoiler detaching led to a further campaign, and another recall was because of windscreen wiper defects in sub-zero conditions. The most recent recall was due to the rear seat hinges failing in a crash.
In this review
- 1Used Renault Clio (Mk4, 2012-2019) reviewThe Renault Clio is a stylish supermini that’s relatively cheap to run, but it’s not a class leader
- 2How much will it cost?Clio has great economy, low emissions and cheap insurance; high depreciation is the only real fly in the ointment, although this is good news for used car buyers
- 3How practical is it?Sleeker looks mask a wheelbase stretch and a class-leading boot – but the Clio is still cramped in the back
- 4What's it like to drive?The Clio is easy to drive and reasonably fun, but some rivals are more enjoyable.
- 5What should you look for? - currently readingIt doesn’t have the greatest reputation for reliability, but the quality has improved over recent years
- 6What do owners think?The Renault Clio has traditionally finished above many of its main rivals in our Driver Power survey