Safest supermini: Volkswagen Polo
Euro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
The Volkswagen Polo is about as sensible as superminis get. The focus is firmly on tech, practicality, and a good driving experience. . However, the car now has another feather in its cap, thanks to a five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating.
The Polo impressed NCAP judges, posting a great score of 96% in the Adult Occupant protection category. Scores across Child (85%), Pedestrian (76%) and Safety Assist (59%) were lower, but still high for the class, and an average of 79% is impressive.
The Polo is available with a good range of engines, with both petrol and diesel units on offer. The interior is excellent quality, the ride is good and you get tech which has been pinched from more expensive, larger models in the VW Group. All things considered the VW Polo is an excellent alternative to the incredibly popular Fiesta.
Safest superminis - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen Polo - currently readingEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers