Used Volvo XC60 (Mk1, 2008-2017) - What should you look out for?
The first-generation Volvo XC60 is not without reliability issues, but nothing that should put you off
The Volvo XC60 Mk1 has had a respectable reliability record, with the car performing decently in the Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, although there are some issues listed below that you should keep on your radar. The first-gen XC60 has also had a number of recalls over the years, so it’s definitely worth checking to see if the car you’re looking at has had all the necessary repair work done before committing to a purchase.
Common used Volvo XC60 Mk1 problems
While there’s nothing ostensibly wrong with the Volvo XC60’s Geartronic automatic gearbox, it’s worth bearing in mind automatic models are less fuel efficient and emit more CO2 than their manual counterparts. Do also note the front-wheel-drive facelifted Volvo XC60s came with an eight-speed automatic gearbox, which changes gears more smoothly than the six-speed gearbox fitted to all the other automatic versions.
The electronic parking brake may not release, due to a sensor that mistakenly detects one of the doors to be open.
Having all of the car’s tyres rebalanced, even if only one wheel is replace, can help put an end to hard-to-pin-down vibrations.
Early Volvo XC60 Mk1 models can suffer from locking and latching problems if the temperature falls below zero degrees Celsius.
The Volvo XC60 has been recalled no less than 33 times – sometimes for defects affecting specific versions, and others across a broader spread of spec and trim levels. Covered issues range from minor problems like faulty fuel gauges, to fixes for more serious issues such as fuel leaks, gearboxes jamming and airbags not deploying.
In this review
- 1Used Volvo XC60 (Mk1, 2008-2017) reviewWith its well-equipped cabin and good safety credentials, the Mk1 Volvo XC60 makes a tempting case as a used premium family SUV
- 2How much will it cost?The Volvo XC60 sports a premium badge so it's not the cheapest SUV to run, although frugal diesels can help offset the cost
- 3How practical is it?Competitive interior space, class-leading safety and a decent standard level of equipment across the range makes the XC60 Mk1 a practical family SUV
- 4What's it like to drive?The Mk1 Volvo XC60 focuses more on refinement and comfort rather than sportiness
- 5What should you look out for? - currently readingThe first-generation Volvo XC60 is not without reliability issues, but nothing that should put you off
- 6What do owners think?The Volvo XC60 should make for a reliable used buy according to its Driver Power scores