Michelin CrossClimate+ tyre review - All-Season Tyre Test 2020
The Michelin CrossClimate+ was the 4th placed tyre in the 2020 All-Season Tyre Test 2020
- Score: 98.8%
- Ranking: 4th
- Price: £105.00
If there was one tyre that would be most affected by our inability to complete the dry handling test, it was this ‘summer tyre with winter capability’.
Michelin has sacrificed outright snow performance to focus on more common wet and dry conditions, but its winter capability is still mightily impressive given the nature of the design and its dry performance – rival engineers have admitted they’re not quite sure how Michelin does it.
There are no grip-boosting sipes in the conventional sense, yet the tyre’s performance on snow was often better than traditional winter-style designs. It was an impressive third at the handling track, with a very stable rear and good traction out of turns on lock – a problem for many tyres. Overall it ranked third on the white stuff, matching the new Goodyear.
That good balance and traction carried over to the wet track, but it was further off the pace than we’ve seen before. Deep water was its biggest drawback, with a poor result in the lateral test hurting its overall score. We can’t wait to try the recently announced third-generation version.
Lacked the wet performance we’ve seen before, but it still starred in the dry and continued to impress on snow.
With more than 8,000 customer reviews for the CrossClimate range and sizes up to 20 inches, these tyres are extremely popular and consistently rated very highly, at 4.7 out of five.
In this review
- 1IntroductionThe UK’s variable weather makes it a prime market for all-season tyres, but which set is best? We test them back-to-back.
- 2Vredestein Quatrac Pro - 6thThe Vredestein Quatrac Pro takes sixth place in our 2020 all-season tyre test
- 3Cooper Discoverer All Season - 5thThe Cooper Discoverer All Season tyre places 5th in our 2020 all-season tyre test
- 4Michelin CrossClimate+ - 4th - currently readingThe Michelin CrossClimate+ was the 4th placed tyre in the 2020 All-Season Tyre Test 2020
- 5Hankook Kinergy 4S2 - 3rd3rd place in our 2020 All-Season Tyre Test goes to the Hankook Kinergy 4S2
- 6Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 - 2ndThe Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 comes second in the 2020 All-Season Tyre Test
- 7Continental AllSeasonContact - 1stThe Continental All Season Contact is the winner of our 2020 All-Season Tyre Test
- 8Verdict & results by categoryTables show which all-season tyres performed well where, and how they compare