Used Audi A5 (Mk1, 2007-2016) review - What do owners think?
Strong scores across the board for the Audi A5 in 2017's Driver Power Used Car Survey
Coming 35th in the 2017 Driver Power used car survey was good for a decade-old car, with reliability and build quality the highlights, along with exterior fit and finish. Owners like the engines and transmissions, too. The A5 didn’t score too badly in any area, although the lowest score (60th) was for running costs.
Together, the Audi A5 Coupe and Cabrio ranked as the 114th-best car to own in the earlier Auto Express Driver Power 2015 customer satisfaction survey. Although Audi finished 13th out of 33 in the manufacturer rankings – it snuck ahead of arch rival BMW by one spot and trailed Mercedes by two places. It was a disappointing result, but things improved for the A5 when the Sportback finished an excellent 26th overall.
However while it came 16th for build quality, the Sportback still managed only 57th for reliability, which wasn’t a brilliant performance.
If you do encounter any reliability issues, Audi’s dealers weren’t rated especially highly – the network finished 26th in the Driver Power countdown, falling short of its competitors again. The result is surely not where the Audi brand wants to be, and is somewhat at odds with the premium image of the product and its advertising profile.
In this review
- 1VerdictWith efficient engines and attractive design, the Audi A5 is a stylish two-door coupe to rival the new BMW 4 Series
- 2How much will it cost?You’ll pay a premium for the A5, even on the used car market; an A4 of the same vintage might make more sense
- 3How practical is it?Accommodation is fine up front and there’s a decent boot, but headroom is limited in the rear
- 4What’s it like to drive?Strong performance, terrific grip and still fun to drive, but BMW and Mercedes have moved the goalposts
- 5What should you look out for?Excellent build quality means a used Audi A5 should feel as classy as a new model, but there are problems to look out for
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingStrong scores across the board for the Audi A5 in 2017's Driver Power Used Car Survey