Used Audi Q5 (Mk1, 2008-2016) review - What should you look out for?
Robustly built from high quality materials, the Q5 promises to be a durable and dependable choice.
It’s a sophisticated car, but thanks to Audi’s strong reputation for high-quality engineering the Q5 is well-built and reliable. However, there are some niggles that you need to keep an eye out for when assessing a potential purchase.
Common used Audi Q5 Mk1 problems
Creaky front suspension is usually down to worn ball joints, which can result in vague steering. Look out for this on test drives.
The Q5 rides firmly; wheels bigger than 18 inches, fitted with low-profile tyres, can be uncomfortable. These were popular options, though.
On cars that are regularly jet washed, the paint can come off the wheel arch lips, leading to corrosion. Inspect potential buys for imperfections.
The manual gearbox can be notchy in its changes, while the S tronic auto can suffer from costly control unit failures.
The Mk1 Q5 has had 10 recalls. The earliest (2009) was for cabin trim that could come adrift in an impact. Two campaigns (2017 and 2018) were for possible air-con auxiliary heater failure.
Three (2016, 2017, 2018) were for airbags failing to deploy correctly.
A 2015 action was for potential fuel leaks; a 2017 recall covered overheating water pumps; a 2018 recall was for rear brake glitches.
In this review
- 1Used Audi Q5 (Mk1, 2008-2016) reviewThe first-generation Audi Q5 is a refined and capable SUV that packs a spacious and upmarket interior. It cost a little more to buy, but it should prove durable and dependable
- 2How much will it cost?It’s not cheap to buy and some versions are costly to run, but solid residuals and efficient diesels mean the Q5 won’t break the bank
- 3How practical is it?A spacious interior and large boot help make the versatile Q5 a fine family-friendly choice
- 4What’s it like to drive?With a wide range of powerful engines and four-wheel drive the Q5 is quick and sure-footed, although the ride is firm on versions with bigger wheels
- 5What should you look out for? - currently readingRobustly built from high quality materials, the Q5 promises to be a durable and dependable choice.
- 6What do owners think?Audi has performed well overall in our Driver Power survey, and owners seem to rate the Q5 very highly