Bentley Continental GT review - Reliability and Safety
Rigorous development and top-notch technology should reassure buyers
You only need to spend a few minutes with a Bentley Continental GT to appreciate how well it’s built. Inside and out the fit and finish is exemplary, a fact which reflects the depth of engineering and development Bentley – with the help its VW Group partners – has thrown at this car.
The W12 engine builds on years of experience with this unique configuration. The advanced electronic tech is new to the Continental GT, but the fact that it’s been engineered and shared across all the luxury brands in the VW Group should provide reassurance that any gremlins will have been caught. Meanwhile, the V8 version is based on the tried-and-tested set-up from the Porsche Panamera.
Euro NCAP are unlikely ever to independently crash test exotics like the Continental GT, although they recently crashed a new Porsche Cayenne for the first time. It shares the Continental’s platform and performed extremely well earning five stars, so with similar underpinnings and safety systems, we’d expect a similar level of safety from the Bentley.
There are certainly plenty of driver safety aids included in the new Continental GT’s spec. The roster includes lane assist and blind spot assist, traffic sign recognition, adaptive cruise control with autonomous braking, pedestrian recognition and a night vision camera.
You get three years of unlimited mileage warranty cover with every new Bentley, including European-wide breakdown assistance.
A routine servicing regime will mean your car needs to visit a dealer annually or every 10,000 miles for those vital service book stamps.
In this review
- 1VerdictPorsche Panamera underpinnings help push the new Bentley Continental GT to the top of its class
- 2Engines, performance and driveNew chassis tech combined with blistering performance make the Continental GT a thrilling driver’s car
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsExpensive to buy, expensive to run and potentially expensive to sell… but what did you expect?
- 4Interior, design and technologyCutting edge tech and contemporary style mean the new Continental GT gives nothing away to rivals
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceSupreme luxury, room for four passengers and plenty of boot space make this a practical GT
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingRigorous development and top-notch technology should reassure buyers