4x4 (weighing over 1,800kg): Chevrolet Captiva
Big loads prove no obstacle for this large seven-seater SUV
As with our sub-1,800kg 4x4s, there wasn’t an especially large field in this category, with only four models vying for honours in the 1,800kg-plus class. Yet our judges had a very mixed bag of cars to choose from here.
The Mercedes ML350 was the most expensive car on test this year, at nearly £50,000, but had already won one class award and looked in good shape to pick up another. However, it was edged out in this category by the Chevrolet Captiva.
The seven-seater Chevy SUV comfortably hauled Bailey’s largest caravan – the mammoth Pegasus Bologna – around all of our test routes. The six-speed manual transmission proved a perfect match for the 181bhp 2.2-litre diesel engine, and although cabin quality was no match for that of the big Mercedes, the part-leather seats were comfortable and supportive.
Plus, the Captiva made up for any disappointment over the fit and finish with an impressive list of equipment: climate and cruise control, Bluetooth and MP3 connectivity and all-round electric windows made its £28,780 price look like decent value for money.
So family buyers in the market for a seven-seater tow car should put this big Chevrolet on their shortlist.
Chevrolet Captiva 2.2 LT 7-seat £28,780Ford Ranger Wildtrak £31,723Isuzu D-Max Eiger 2.5 £21,275*Mercedes ML350 BlueTEC Sport £49,440
* On-the-road price without towing extras.
- 1IntroductionWe team up with the experts from The Caravan Club to name the best tow car in Britain
- 20-120g/km (bands A-C)Sleek coupe proves you don’t need a massive 4x4 to tow
- 3121-150g/km (bands D-F)Defending champion faces tough competition in its class
- 4151-185g/km (bands G-I)Our former Car of the Year takes the honours
- 5186g/km-plus (bands J-M)V6 diesel-engined M-Class is our pick of the big-hitters
- 64x4 (under 1,800kg)Another win for the Yeti crossover in the small 4x4 class
- 74x4 (over 1,800kg) - currently readingBig loads prove no obstacle for this large seven-seater SUV
- 8Tow Car of the YearThe classy four-door VW Jetta wins for a second year in a row