0-120g/km (tax bands A-C): Volkswagen CC
Sleek coupe proves you don’t need a massive 4x4 to tow
If you thought a sleek four-door coupe wouldn’t make a great tow car, think again – as the VW CC mixes desirability with fine caravanning credentials.
Our judges loved the low-slung looks, and while the sloping roof compromised rear visibility, that was forgiven once at the wheel.
We hitched the VW to the largest Bailey Orion model – the 530-6 – and it impressed with its smooth acceleration and superb stability, even at 70mph (although 60mph is the legal limit when towing a caravan on motorways).
Our hill route’s offset cambers and undulating tarmac test a car’s agility, but the CC hauled the big caravan with ease. The gutsy 2.0-litre TDI engine and six-speed manual box’s well spaced ratios make it relaxed and fun to drive.
Inside are comfortable and supportive seats, plus a well laid-out dash with solid VW build quality. And while the boot isn’t the biggest, it’s a useful 452 litres, and the rear seats fold.
Driver and front passenger are spoiled for head and legroom, but taller people in the rear will get a bit squeezed by the sloping roof. Still, you get xenon lights, heated seats, Bluetooth and touchscreen sat-nav. And although you won’t hit the claimed 61.4mpg economy while towing, eco tech like stop-start will keep fuel bills in check.
Volkswagen CC 2.0 TDI (140) BM Tech GT: £28,232Nissan Qashqai 1.6 dCi n-tech+: £23,617Peugeot 508 HDi 140 Allure: £24,660Volvo V40 D4 SE Lux Nav: £27,142
- 1IntroductionWe team up with the experts from The Caravan Club to name the best tow car in Britain
- 20-120g/km (bands A-C) - currently readingSleek coupe proves you don’t need a massive 4x4 to tow
- 3121-150g/km (bands D-F)Defending champion faces tough competition in its class
- 4151-185g/km (bands G-I)Our former Car of the Year takes the honours
- 5186g/km-plus (bands J-M)V6 diesel-engined M-Class is our pick of the big-hitters
- 64x4 (under 1,800kg)Another win for the Yeti crossover in the small 4x4 class
- 74x4 (over 1,800kg)Big loads prove no obstacle for this large seven-seater SUV
- 8Tow Car of the YearThe classy four-door VW Jetta wins for a second year in a row