Tow Car of the Year 2013: Volkswagen Jetta
The classy four-door VW Jetta wins for a second year in a row
A first past the post scoring system made picking an overall Tow Car of the Year easier than ever.
Over three days, each judge used the 23 entrants to tow a variety of caravans nearly 700 miles on two challenging courses. Of course, they also rated each car’s ‘caravanability’, assessing how much luggage they could take and how easily it could be loaded. And the VW Jetta successfully defended its crown.
It scored with its crisp handling and superb ride, plus its impeccable road manners when towing. The DSG box shifted smoothly and on motorways the car’s stability was second to none.
VW offers three trims and a choice of petrol and diesel engines. But this 2.0 TDI is best for towing, preferably with the DSG twin-clutch box.
But there’s more to the Jetta than classy looks and capable dynamics. The boot has a huge 510-litre capacity, while top-spec Sport models get a hill-hold function, semi-auto air-con, cruise control and an iPod connection.
Plus, this diesel promises 53.3mpg economy, while 138g/km emissions mean low road tax bills. Sealing the deal is VW’s great-value £329 three-year/30,000-mile servicing package.
- 1IntroductionWe team up with the experts from The Caravan Club to name the best tow car in Britain
- 20-120g/km (bands A-C)Sleek coupe proves you don’t need a massive 4x4 to tow
- 3121-150g/km (bands D-F)Defending champion faces tough competition in its class
- 4151-185g/km (bands G-I)Our former Car of the Year takes the honours
- 5186g/km-plus (bands J-M)V6 diesel-engined M-Class is our pick of the big-hitters
- 64x4 (under 1,800kg)Another win for the Yeti crossover in the small 4x4 class
- 74x4 (over 1,800kg)Big loads prove no obstacle for this large seven-seater SUV
- 8Tow Car of the Year - currently readingThe classy four-door VW Jetta wins for a second year in a row