Best used convertibles
The Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used convertible: Mazda MX-5 Mk3
Prices from: £3,295Our pick: Mazda MX-5 2012 (12) Mk3 2.0i Sport Tech, 47,000 miles, £7,995
The Mazda MX-5 is Britain’s best-selling two-seater roadster, and although the Mk4 car has moved the game on further still (it’s our best new roadster), you can get almost all of the thrills for a fraction of the bill with a facelifted version of the previous car.
Called the NC, this third-generation MX-5 is still a peach and remains true to the car’s original concept. It’s light, compact and is powered by a naturally aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine; we think the 2.0i Sport Tech model is the one to go for.
Early Mk3 MX-5s are incredibly affordable now, with prices starting from as low as £3,295, but we’d go for something a bit fresher. We found a post-facelift 2012 car with 47,000 miles for less than £8,000, which is a bargain thanks to its updated styling and extra kit compared with the pre-facelift model.
The MX-5 is so great to drive thanks to its light weight. The sweet steering, its wonderful manual gearshift and revvy 158bhp 2.0-litre engine make it a car you can enjoy at sensible speeds on public roads, revelling in its balance and poise. Yet it’s a driver’s car you can use every day. Refinement is okay and although it’s cramped inside, comfort isn’t too bad.
That’s helped by the kit on offer in Sport Tech trim, including heated leather seats, a Bose stereo system and cruise control. Heated seats in particular are great for those sunny winter days where you just have to get the roof down, which brings us to the MX-5’s USP.
It was available with a soft or hard-top. While the hard roof adds extra refinement and security, the soft-top is cheaper and just as weatherproof, The manual canvas hood folds down quickly, too, which means you can spend more time enjoying open-top motoring.
On the road: Light weight, fine handling and revvy engine make the MX-5 lots of fun and a best seller.
Interior: Two-seat cabin is a bit cramped and not too practical, but there’s lots of kit, including handy heated seats.
The Mazda MX-5 is car you might buy more with your heart than your head, but you can satisfy both with a finance deal.
Lease costs of £232 a month really aren’t that high for something that’ll bring you so much fun, yet doesn’t sacrifice usability all that much.
Approaching winter is a great time to buy a convertible car, too, because values tend to take a dip.
Audi A3 Cabriolet Mk2
Prices of the current Audi A3 Cabriolet have dropped to affordable levels. This Mk2 went on sale in 2013 and is more elegant than its predecessor because it uses the saloon’s longer wheelbase. There’s more space inside, while quality and driving dynamics are what you’d expect from Audi.
The sporty Smart Roadster might not be fast, but you can take the roof off and hear the sweet thrum from the 0.7-litre three-cylinder engine. It’s a characterful two-seater that’s an individual choice in this market. The Smart is a great alternative to conventional city cars.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertibles - currently readingThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018