McLaren 570S - best sports cars
'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
It’s not the cheapest car in our list by a long stretch, but it’s the least expensive McLaren that money can buy with a starting price of £145k. Relatively speaking it makes the junior McLaren a bargain, offering almost identical performance to the similarly priced Porsche 911 Turbo S, in a much more exotic and desirable package.
The 570S comes with McLaren’s twin-turbo 3.8-litre V8, in this case making 562bhp. That’s enough to catapult you from 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds using launch control. The 570S is also the easiest McLaren to live with, thanks to redesigned doors that ease access, and it even has a boot that’s larger than the 911 Turbo’s too. With a fabulous handling chassis offering incredible grip, excellent damping and good steering feedback, the 570S is just a joy to drive fast. It’s comfortable and refined enough for touring, although the 570 GT is an even more capable machine.
Best sports cars
- 11. McLaren 570S - currently reading'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
- 22. Mazda MX-5It's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
- 33. Porsche 911 Carrera GTSThe Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
- 44. BMW M4 Competition PackAdding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
- 55. Mercedes-AMG C63 CoupeBig twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
- 66. Audi RS 5The latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
- 77. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterMid-engined Porsche twins are driver's cars honed to perfection, whichever version you choose
- 88. Fiat 124 SpiderThe Italian firm is back in the small sports car business, courtesy of Mazda
- 99. Nissan GT-RJapanese coupe is a showcase for what can be done if you throw electronic wizardry at the sports car philosophy
- 1010. Jaguar F-TypeThe F-Type puts the grrr back into the great British sports car