Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe - best sports cars
Big twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
The V8 engines may be a little smaller these days, but the rumbustious character and howling vocals of Mercedes-AMG products still make the hairs on an enthusiast’s neck stand up.
The Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe is a case in point, with its 4.0 twin-turbo motor offering mighty performance, accompanied by that trademark AMG bellow that just begs the driver to keep their foot hard against the floorboards.
In S trim, doing so unleashes 503bhp and a seamless wave of thrust that delivers 0-62mph in just 3.9 seconds and just keeps going until you’re flat out at the limited 155mph maximum. There’s sharp handling, well-weighted steering and limpet-like grip in Sports+ mode, all of which help to make the C63 Coupe more than a match for the BMW M4 on a demanding road.
Yet if you wind things back to comfort settings, progress is every bit as refined as the regular C-Class, apart from an – acceptably - firmer ride. If you can afford the £77k S model, it really is a cracker of a coupe, but the standard car is highly desirable too.
Best sports cars
- 1. McLaren 570S
- 2. Mazda MX-5
- 3. Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
- 4. BMW M4 Competition Pack
- 5. Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe
- 6. Audi RS 5 Coupe
- 7. Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster
- 8. Fiat 124 Spider
- 9. Nissan GT-R
- 10. Jaguar F-Type
- 11. McLaren 570S'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
- 22. Mazda MX-5It's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
- 33. Porsche 911 Carrera GTSThe Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
- 44. BMW M4 Competition PackAdding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
- 55. Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe - currently readingBig twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
- 66. Audi RS 5The latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
- 77. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterMid-engined Porsche twins are driver's cars honed to perfection, whichever version you choose
- 88. Fiat 124 SpiderThe Italian firm is back in the small sports car business, courtesy of Mazda
- 99. Nissan GT-RJapanese coupe is a showcase for what can be done if you throw electronic wizardry at the sports car philosophy
- 1010. Jaguar F-TypeThe F-Type puts the grrr back into the great British sports car