BMW M4 Competition Pack - best sports cars
Adding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
BMW has a long history of building engaging sports coupes, but when the M4 Coupe first arrived as the replacement for the legendary M3, it left us wanting a litle more. Sure, the 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight-six delivered the kind of punch that emulated its V8 predecessor, but the M4 didn't quite deliver in terms of driving involvement.
Luckily BMW's M Division had a few extras in the locker, first introducing the M4 CS as an 'in-betweener' featuring parts from the ultra-exclusive M4 GTS, then adding the Competition Pack as a £4,000 option on the standard M4.
The result is a sharper, more focused coupe courtesy of the Pack's adaptive dampers, an electronic diff, a modest power boost to 444bhp and bigger 20-inch wheels with a wider tread to help put the power down. For drivers looking for a four-seater coupe that genuinely entertains, the Competition Pack helps the M4 find its mojo.
Best sports cars
- 11. McLaren 570S'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
- 22. Mazda MX-5It's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
- 33. Porsche 911 Carrera GTSThe Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
- 44. BMW M4 Competition Pack - currently readingAdding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
- 55. Mercedes-AMG C63 CoupeBig twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
- 66. Audi RS 5The latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
- 77. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterMid-engined Porsche twins are driver's cars honed to perfection, whichever version you choose
- 88. Fiat 124 SpiderThe Italian firm is back in the small sports car business, courtesy of Mazda
- 99. Nissan GT-RJapanese coupe is a showcase for what can be done if you throw electronic wizardry at the sports car philosophy
- 1010. Jaguar F-TypeThe F-Type puts the grrr back into the great British sports car