Mazda MX-5 - best sports cars
It's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
The fourth-generation Mazda MX-5 has some big boots to fill. Unprecedented success over the last 25 years has elevated Mazda's roadster to become the world’s best-selling two-seater sports car. We especially love them here in the UK, with around half of all Mazda MX-5s sold in Europe going to British buyers.
Smaller, over 100kg lighter and more efficient than its predecessor, the new Mazda MX-5 has gone back to its roots in a bid to offer genuine lightweight sports car thrills for buyers whose pockets aren’t deep enough for a Porsche 718 Boxster.
A foldable fabric roof stows manually behind the driver and passenger, while the boot and cabin offer more space, despite the car’s smaller footprint on the road. Buyers can choose between 1.5-litre or 2.0-litre petrol engines connected to a six-speed manual gearbox and sending power to the rear wheels. The 2.0-litre version gets some extra kit including Bilstien dampers and a limited-slip differential.
The sharp design is an interpretation of the latest Kodo design language, while the interior is brought right up to date with Mazda’s latest MZD Connect infotainment system.
Best sports cars
- 1. McLaren 570S
- 2. Mazda MX-5
- 3. Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
- 4. BMW M4 Competition Pack
- 5. Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe
- 6. Audi RS 5 Coupe
- 7. Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster
- 8. Fiat 124 Spider
- 9. Nissan GT-R
- 10. Jaguar F-Type
- 11. McLaren 570S'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
- 22. Mazda MX-5 - currently readingIt's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
- 33. Porsche 911 Carrera GTSThe Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
- 44. BMW M4 Competition PackAdding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
- 55. Mercedes-AMG C63 CoupeBig twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
- 66. Audi RS 5The latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
- 77. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterMid-engined Porsche twins are driver's cars honed to perfection, whichever version you choose
- 88. Fiat 124 SpiderThe Italian firm is back in the small sports car business, courtesy of Mazda
- 99. Nissan GT-RJapanese coupe is a showcase for what can be done if you throw electronic wizardry at the sports car philosophy
- 1010. Jaguar F-TypeThe F-Type puts the grrr back into the great British sports car