Porsche 911 Carrera GTS - best sports cars
The Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
The 450bhp, 550Nm Porsche 911 Carrera GTS is arguably the sweet spot in the 911 range, with the firm’s latest twin-turbo flat-six 3.0 engine giving it a 0-62mph time of 3.7 seconds with the PDK gearbox option.
One of the reasons we love the Carrera GTS though, is that it’s the most powerful Porsche 911 available with a standard manual gearbox – a slick, mechanically pleasing affair that delivers all the purist driving thrills any enthusiast could ask for.
The turbocharged engine pulls like a train too, although the turbos muffle the classic 911 bark a little at the top end. The latest models grip harder than ever though, and offer incredible agility and turn-in – especially if you have the rear-wheel steering that’s standard fit on the GTS.
With a supple ride and a luxurious and spacious cabin, the latest 911 Carrera GTS is a terrific sporting all rounder.
Best sports cars
- 1. McLaren 570S
- 2. Mazda MX-5
- 3. Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
- 4. BMW M4 Competition Pack
- 5. Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe
- 6. Audi RS 5 Coupe
- 7. Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster
- 8. Fiat 124 Spider
- 9. Nissan GT-R
- 10. Jaguar F-Type
- 11. McLaren 570S'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
- 22. Mazda MX-5It's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
- 33. Porsche 911 Carrera GTS - currently readingThe Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
- 44. BMW M4 Competition PackAdding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
- 55. Mercedes-AMG C63 CoupeBig twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
- 66. Audi RS 5The latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
- 77. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterMid-engined Porsche twins are driver's cars honed to perfection, whichever version you choose
- 88. Fiat 124 SpiderThe Italian firm is back in the small sports car business, courtesy of Mazda
- 99. Nissan GT-RJapanese coupe is a showcase for what can be done if you throw electronic wizardry at the sports car philosophy
- 1010. Jaguar F-TypeThe F-Type puts the grrr back into the great British sports car