Audi RS 5 - best sports cars
The latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
Audi has tended to follow the lead of BMW and Mercedes when it comes to high-performance cars. Most of the time they have been fast, but the addition of quattro four-wheel drive has held them back when it comes to driver engagement.
Past versions of the RS 5 Coupe have had V8 power, but the current model copies the S5 by having a V6 twin-turbo TFSI engine. This is the same engine found in the RS 4 Avant performance estate and packs 444bhp. This time around, the RS 5's quattro four-wheel drive has been tuned by Audi Sport, the firm behind Audi's racing projects, and it has more of a rear bias than ever.
This boosts the RS 5's ability, while the 4WD grip still gives it unsurpassed traction and agility in slippery and wet conditions. What's more, the four-seater cabin means this is a practical performance car that could double as family transport without any difficulty.
Best sports cars
- 11. McLaren 570S'Entry level' McLaren is still a sensational piece of sports car engineering that entertains in spades
- 22. Mazda MX-5It's a modern-day classic that's had 25 years of development under its belt to make it one of the most fun cars on sale
- 33. Porsche 911 Carrera GTSThe Carrera GTS combines the best bits of the standard Carrera and the track-focused 911 GT3
- 44. BMW M4 Competition PackAdding the Competition Pack to the M4 Coupe transforms it into a focused sports machine
- 55. Mercedes-AMG C63 CoupeBig twin-turbo V8 and a rear-drive chassis turn elegant coupe into a total headbanger
- 66. Audi RS 5 - currently readingThe latest RS 5 delivers all-weather performance in a subtly aggressive package
- 77. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterMid-engined Porsche twins are driver's cars honed to perfection, whichever version you choose
- 88. Fiat 124 SpiderThe Italian firm is back in the small sports car business, courtesy of Mazda
- 99. Nissan GT-RJapanese coupe is a showcase for what can be done if you throw electronic wizardry at the sports car philosophy
- 1010. Jaguar F-TypeThe F-Type puts the grrr back into the great British sports car