Used Mercedes C-Class (Mk4, 2014-2021) - What should you look for?
The Mk4 Mercedes C-Class has had its fair share of issues, with owners often reporting reliability problems
In its final year being featured as a car available to buy new, the Mercedes C-Class Mk4 wasn’t exactly a standard-setter in our 2021 Driver Power survey. The C-Class was ranked 71st out of 75 cars, and owners said they weren’t impressed with the build quality or reliability. Keep a look out for the issues below when you’re looking around used examples.
Common used Mercedes-Class Mk4 problems
The brakes on the Mercedes C-Class Mk4 can squeal, in particular the ones on the front wheels, and this can be difficult to rectify.
Poorly fitting doors and seals can result in an excessive amount of wind noise entering the cabin.
Many Mercedes C-Class Mk4 owners say the standard-fit stereo isn’t punchy enough. Even the upgraded sound system has suffered from this issue.
The artificial leather MB-Tex seat upholstery can discolour and appear stained.
The Mercedes C-Class Mk4 has suffered 20 recalls to date, covering a variety of faults and defects. These include a leaking AdBlue filler pipe on diesel models, loss of power assistance for the steering, oil and fuel leaks and the engines running the risk of stalling. Other issues the fourth-gen Mercedes C-Class has been recalled for include seatbelts failing to function properly and airbags failing to go off in the event of an accident, and a loss of control when driving due to the steering column working free.
In this review
- 1Used Mercedes C-Class (Mk4, 2014-2021) reviewThe Mercedes C-Class Mk4 is a classy premium saloon that performs at its best as a comfy motorway cruiser
- 2How much will it cost?The Mk4 Mercedes C-Class is still a premium product and you will pay for the privilege of owning it, but it should hold its value well
- 3How practical is it?The Mk4 Mercedes C-Class offers a good amount of room up front for driver and passenger, but the boot size is nothing special
- 4What's it like to drive?The Mk4 Mercedes C-Class remains a solid, stable cruiser, while AMG offerings are still huge fun
- 5What should you look for? - currently readingThe Mk4 Mercedes C-Class has had its fair share of issues, with owners often reporting reliability problems
- 6What do owners think?The C-Class has had mixed results in the Driver Power customer satisfaction survey