The best summer tyre
Only the best tyres excel in our thorough assessments – and we name the top three out of our 10 tested tyres
Should I change my tyres with the tread at 3mm? The legal limit is 1.6mm, but some tyre manufacturers say wet road grip drops off dramatically below 3mm – and our tests have confirmed that this is the case. In the wet, tread works by shifting water from under the tyre; shallower grooves mean less water is expelled, which makes your car more prone to losing grip and aquaplaning.
What difference will the new tyre labels make? Makers are rushing to meet the legislation, which comes into force in November. The labels will essentially make purchasing tyres like buying a fridge or dishwasher – you’ll see an at-a-glance sticker with a rating for noise, wet grip and fuel economy. But our tests are still a must-read, as they factor in other essentials including dry handling, aquaplaning and rolling resistance.
- 1IntroductionOur experts name the best car care kit and accessories from the past 12 months
- 2Product of the Year: PURE Highway 300DiClever add-on is a breakthrough for in-car digital radio, making it a realistic proposition at a great-value price
- 3The best smartphone appThere’s a raft of apps to make drivers’ lives easier. We name two we can’t live without
- 4The best tool bagCarrying tools in your car? Keep them organised and protect your boot as we name our three best buys from 10 soft bags
- 5The best road atlasTotal reliance on sat-nav can get you into trouble. We pick three of the best printed road atlases from the 12 tested