The best tool bag
Carrying tools in your car? Keep them organised and protect your boot as we name our three best buys from 10 soft bags
Why have tool bags become so popular? What’s wrong with an old-fashioned tool box? Tool boxes are still useful, but are probably best suited to being kept in the workshop or garage. They’re not the easiest to carry and are usually quite heavy, especially the metal ones. If it goes in the boot, sharp edges can damage carpet and plastic trim, which is where a softer tool bag can often be a better choice.
I’d like to save some cash by servicing the car myself. What tools will I need to do the job? We recommend you leave the electronics to the experts, but there’s lots you can do yourself. If you have a jack and axle stands, you can change the oil and oil filter. Spanners, socket wrenches and screwdrivers are all you need to replace the air, fuel and pollen filters, and these will also allow you to check and replace the coolant and brakes.
- 1IntroductionOur experts name the best car care kit and accessories from the past 12 months
- 2Product of the Year: PURE Highway 300DiClever add-on is a breakthrough for in-car digital radio, making it a realistic proposition at a great-value price
- 3The best smartphone appThere’s a raft of apps to make drivers’ lives easier. We name two we can’t live without
- 4The best tool bag - currently readingCarrying tools in your car? Keep them organised and protect your boot as we name our three best buys from 10 soft bags
- 5The best road atlasTotal reliance on sat-nav can get you into trouble. We pick three of the best printed road atlases from the 12 tested
- 6The best winter tyreWhich are better: winter or all-season tyres? Our test of 10 covered both as we picked out four of the leading choices
- 7The best summer tyreOnly the best tyres excel in our thorough assessments – and we name the top three out of our 10 tested tyres
- 8The best polish and waxRestoring your car’s showroom shine can be hard work, so you want the results to last. These products will help
- 9The best bumper shineGet the exterior plastic looking fantastic to retain your car’s showroom feel – and protect it in the long term
- 10The best tyre shineSpray-on treatments not only give your tyres a real shine, they also provide lasting protection