The best road atlas
Total reliance on sat-nav can get you into trouble. We pick three of the best printed road atlases from the 12 tested
I’ve already got a sat-nav – do I really need a road atlas, too? The main reason for having a road atlas is that you will always know where you’re going – even if your sat-nav has no satellite reception or battery charge. Atlases make it easier to share your route with others and can help you explore areas you don’t know. If you’re on holiday, you might not want to take the fastest road, or you may want to see what landmarks are close by.
What’s the difference between the many road atlases on sale? Which one is best for me? First, there’s size - pocket, A5, A4 or A3. Then the size of the scale – the lower the figure, the more detail. Your next choice is between hardback and paperback. Although paperbacks are cheaper, hardbacks are more durable. Finally, the spine: spiralbound, perfect bound or stapled. We prefer spiralbound as it can be folded back on itself.
- 1IntroductionOur experts name the best car care kit and accessories from the past 12 months
- 2Product of the Year: PURE Highway 300DiClever add-on is a breakthrough for in-car digital radio, making it a realistic proposition at a great-value price
- 3The best smartphone appThere’s a raft of apps to make drivers’ lives easier. We name two we can’t live without
- 4The best tool bagCarrying tools in your car? Keep them organised and protect your boot as we name our three best buys from 10 soft bags
- 5The best road atlas - currently readingTotal reliance on sat-nav can get you into trouble. We pick three of the best printed road atlases from the 12 tested
- 6The best winter tyreWhich are better: winter or all-season tyres? Our test of 10 covered both as we picked out four of the leading choices
- 7The best summer tyreOnly the best tyres excel in our thorough assessments – and we name the top three out of our 10 tested tyres
- 8The best polish and waxRestoring your car’s showroom shine can be hard work, so you want the results to last. These products will help
- 9The best bumper shineGet the exterior plastic looking fantastic to retain your car’s showroom feel – and protect it in the long term
- 10The best tyre shineSpray-on treatments not only give your tyres a real shine, they also provide lasting protection