UKBatteries Platinum Prestige
This first offering from UKBatteries couldn’t be more different from its Value battery
Price: £57.99 Guarantee: Four years Contact: UKBatteries www.platinumbatteries.com 0845 063 9999
This first offering from UKBatteries couldn’t be more different from its Value battery. Perhaps it’s the calcium technology, or the whopping ratings of 500 cranking amps and 50 AH capacity. But this happily produced four starts after the freezer treatment, and also worked well in the part discharged crank test. Its 216 minutes in the bulb test impressed us, too.
In this review
- 1IntroductionOn a charge to find the best car battery from 8 top buys
- 2UKBatteries ValueValue by name but not by price or performance, judging by our test
- 3UKBatteries Platinum Prestige - currently readingThis first offering from UKBatteries couldn’t be more different from its Value battery
- 4Odyssey PC 925Flat-plate AGM technology means stunning performance from a battery that’s actually smaller than the 063s in the group
- 5Lucas Premium 3Yuasa is no longer supplying batteries to Lucas, but this doesn’t seem to have been detrimental to their performance
- 6Exide ExcellOne of the few batteries tested here to be priced under the £40 barrier, which makes its average performance in the test rather more acceptable.
- 7Numax PremiumA commended performer in our last big battery test, but the Numax Premium couldn’t repeat that kind of result this time around
- 8Exide Maxxima 900DCOur first AGM battery boasts 900 amps of cranking power, despite not being much bigger than a standard 063 casing
- 9Exide X-Tra PlusThis wasn’t the outright best performer, but no other product here can beat this battery’s trade-off between output and price
- 10Halfords StandardA surprisingly good battery, considering it’s from Halfords’ standard range