Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Special (1998)
In early versions of Gran Turismo, the Escudo was the car to beat all others. It was a digitized version of the car that Nobuhiro ‘Monster’ Tajima built for the famous Pikes Peak hillclimb, although it was a very blunt instrument, because while it had nearly 1,000bhp, four-wheel drive and masses of downforce, it was also impossible to steer at speed.
Thanks to the lack of damage in the GT series, this meant you could simply fire the big red beast along the straights and then pinball through the corners to victory with absolutely zero skill.
1. Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)2. Honda Integra Type R (1995)3. Suzuki Escudo Pikes PEak Special (1998)4. TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)5. Buick Special (2003)6. Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)7. Nissan GT-R (2007)8. Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)9. Red Bull X2010 (2010)10. Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)
- 1IntroductionA look at the greatest cars to appear in the Gran Turismo video game series
- 2Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)Thanks to contractual issues, legendary sports car maker Porsche has never appeared in the Gran Turismo series.
- 3Honda Integra Type R (1995)Every Gran Turismo game has stuck to a formula that sees you progress from small sports cars through the ranks to the fastest prototypes, and one of the best cars in which to learn your driving lines was the Honda Integra Type R.
- 4Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Special (1998) - currently reading
- 5TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)
- 6Buick Special (2003)
- 7Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)
- 8Nissan GT-R (2007)
- 9Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)
- 10Red Bull X2010 (2010)
- 11Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)