Buick Special (2003)
As the Gran Turismo franchise grew, more manufacturers wanted to get involved in the game, but series creator Kazunori Yamauchi also wanted special, one-off models to appear alongside the more mainstream offerings. To achieve that, Kazunori started a partnership with the SEMA modified car show in the US, where he would pick his favourite car of the show and have it rendered for the GT series.
In 2004, the first fruits appeared in the shape of a heavily customised 1962 Buick Special called Bu’Wicked. This low-riding machine packed a supercharged V8 that you could tune to 831bhp in the game, and meant it was perfect for doing huge burnouts.
1. Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)2. Honda Integra Type R (1995)3. Suzuki Escudo Pikes PEak Special (1998)4. TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)5. Buick Special (2003)6. Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)7. Nissan GT-R (2007)8. Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)9. Red Bull X2010 (2010)10. Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)
- 1IntroductionA look at the greatest cars to appear in the Gran Turismo video game series
- 2Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)Thanks to contractual issues, legendary sports car maker Porsche has never appeared in the Gran Turismo series.
- 3Honda Integra Type R (1995)Every Gran Turismo game has stuck to a formula that sees you progress from small sports cars through the ranks to the fastest prototypes, and one of the best cars in which to learn your driving lines was the Honda Integra Type R.
- 4Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Special (1998)
- 5TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)
- 6Buick Special (2003) - currently reading
- 7Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)
- 8Nissan GT-R (2007)
- 9Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)
- 10Red Bull X2010 (2010)