Gran Turismo: the game's greatest cars
A look at the greatest cars to appear in the Gran Turismo video game series
Vision Gran Turismo is a collaboration between the game’s developers and leading design studios across the globe to create one-off concept cars to celebrate the franchise’s 15th anniversary. While most show cars are strictly for display, the cars created for Vision Gran Turismo are actually driveable in the game.
So far, we’ve seen extreme models from BMW, Mercedes, Mitsubishi and Volkswagen, while over the coming months, designers from companies as diverse as Lamborghini, Tesla, Bertone and sportswear maker Nike will add their own radical concepts via a series of free downloads .
To celebrate the Vision Gran Turismo series, we’ve gone back through the archives to pick 10 cars from the Gran Turismo series that were landmarks in the series.
Click through the links to the left, to read about why we think each car deserves its place in the top 10.
1. Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987) 2. Honda Integra Type R (1995) 3. Suzuki Escudo Pikes PEak Special (1998) 4. TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000) 5. Buick Special (2003) 6. Ferrari 599 GTB (2006) 7. Nissan GT-R (2007) 8. Citroen GT by Citroen (2008) 9. Red Bull X2010 (2010) 10. Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)
- 1Introduction - currently readingA look at the greatest cars to appear in the Gran Turismo video game series
- 2Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)Thanks to contractual issues, legendary sports car maker Porsche has never appeared in the Gran Turismo series.
- 3Honda Integra Type R (1995)Every Gran Turismo game has stuck to a formula that sees you progress from small sports cars through the ranks to the fastest prototypes, and one of the best cars in which to learn your driving lines was the Honda Integra Type R.
- 4Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Special (1998)
- 5TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)
- 6Buick Special (2003)
- 7Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)
- 8Nissan GT-R (2007)
- 9Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)
- 10Red Bull X2010 (2010)
- 11Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)