Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)
The idea of the Vision Gran Turismo series can trace its roots back to this one-off concept. It was designed by Citroen with the assistance of Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi, and demonstrated how the game series has been embraced by car makers as a new way of attracting potential car buyers.
The GT by Citroen was so popular that Citroen went ahead and fitted it with an engine to make it a fully working prototype, while there are three versions of the car in the game – an electric hybrid concept, a petrol-powered road car and even an extreme racing sports car.
1. Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)2. Honda Integra Type R (1995)3. Suzuki Escudo Pikes PEak Special (1998)4. TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)5. Buick Special (2003)6. Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)7. Nissan GT-R (2007)8. Citroen GT by Citroen (2008)9. Red Bull X2010 (2010)10. Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)
- 1IntroductionA look at the greatest cars to appear in the Gran Turismo video game series
- 2Ruf CTR Yellow Bird (1987)Thanks to contractual issues, legendary sports car maker Porsche has never appeared in the Gran Turismo series.
- 3Honda Integra Type R (1995)Every Gran Turismo game has stuck to a formula that sees you progress from small sports cars through the ranks to the fastest prototypes, and one of the best cars in which to learn your driving lines was the Honda Integra Type R.
- 4Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Special (1998)
- 5TVR Cerbera Speed 12 (2000)
- 6Buick Special (2003)
- 7Ferrari 599 GTB (2006)
- 8Nissan GT-R (2007)
- 9Citroen GT by Citroen (2008) - currently reading
- 10Red Bull X2010 (2010)
- 11Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo (2013)