BMW 4 Series review - Reliability and safety
Strong safety levels and solid warranty cover should provide BMW 4 Series buyers with peace of mind
BMW has a great reputation for safety and, while the 4 Series is yet to be crash-tested by Euro NCAP, we’d expect it to receive a top rating. It’s based on the same CLAR platform as the 3 Series which gained a full, five-star score in 2019, with a reassuring 97 per cent result for adult protection and 87 per cent for child occupant safety.
Standard kit includes cruise control, front and rear parking sensors and BMW’s Active Guard Plus system which adds a lane-departure warning, automatic emergency braking and speed limit information.
The Driving Assistant Professional systems come as part of the (£3,650) optional Technology Plus Pack and includes Active Cruise Control, a crossing traffic warning, a Lane Keeping Assistant with active side collision protection and a wrong-way warning.
BMW’s performance in our annual Driver Power customer satisfaction survey hasn’t been the best of late. In 2020, the manufacturer placed 27th out of 30 manufacturers, just ahead of Mercedes.
The 4 Series is covered by BMW’s standard three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty, which matches that of Mercedes and betters Audi’s 60,000-mile limit over the same period.
BMW offers its Pay Monthly Service Plan which allows you to spread the cost of scheduled maintenance. The plan covers two services and costs around £25 per month.
In this review
- 1BMW 4 Series reviewA bold new design and real dynamic ability help the BMW 4 Series Coupe set the class standard
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe 4 Series is talented enough to keep keen drivers interested, but also shines as a capable cruiser
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsDiesel power still offers the best overall efficiency for the 4 Series, at least until the introduction of the all-electric i4 model
- 4Interior, design and technologyAside from the 4 Series’ new grille it’s very much business as usual, which means great build quality, intuitive tech and decent levels of kit
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe 4 Series is practical enough, although some optional equipment can prove to be expensive
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingStrong safety levels and solid warranty cover should provide BMW 4 Series buyers with peace of mind