The mighty BMW M5 gets a 5.0-litre V10 and is now less than £20,000
With an enormous 5.0-litre naturally aspirated V10 lurking under its sober-suited saloon body, the M5 is a supercar the whole family can enjoy.
The Formula One-inspired engine sends a mammoth 507bhp to the rear wheels through a bespoke seven-speed sequential gearbox to give the BMW scorching performance and a memorable soundtrack.
Subtle exterior styling also makes this a brilliant Q-car, and it comes with plenty of creature comforts to ensure it’s easy to live with every day.
The automated manual box makes progress a bit jerky in town and the early iDrive system is tricky to use, but it’s a classy, comfortable way to go fast.
Around 1,800 M5s were sold in the UK, and we spotted one with 83,000 miles on the clock and a full dealer service history going for just £16,995.
- 1IntroductionWe pick eight of the best performance car bargains, with budgets ranging from just £895 to £29,000
- 2Sub-£1,000Want performance car thrills for less than £1,000? Try the Fiat Coupe
- 3£1,000 - £2,500Plenty of choice for between £1,000 and £2,500 - the Mazda RX-8 is one of our favourites
- 4£2,500 - £5,000Fancy owning a Porsche for less than £5,000? The Boxster is a great used buy
- 5£5,000 - £10,000The latest Renaultsport Clio can now be had for less than £10,000
- 6£10,000 - £15,000The rally-bred Mitsubishi Evo can be yours for less than £15,000
- 7£15,000 - £20,000 - currently readingThe mighty BMW M5 gets a 5.0-litre V10 and is now less than £20,000
- 8£20,000 - £25,000At less than £25,000, the previous-generation 911 is a superb used buy
- 9£25,000 and aboveFor less than £30,000, little comes close to the V8 Vantage for badge appeal and driving thrills