Fiat Coupe Turbo 20v
Want performance car thrills for less than £1,000? Try the Fiat Coupe
If Ferrari made a car for the masses, this would be it. The Fiat Coupe was radical at launch in 1993, and it still stands out with its straight edges, curved details and distinctive slashes in the wheelarches.
It was powered by a Lancia Delta-sourced four-cylinder, with or without a turbo. But even a three-figure budget buys a later 220bhp turbocharged five-cylinder 20-valve model. This will easily match a modern hot hatch for pace, while the handling is surprisingly agile.
Fiats of this era can be troublesome, so choose carefully. Still, we found a 1998 R-reg model with 84,000 miles on the clock for £895.
- 1IntroductionWe pick eight of the best performance car bargains, with budgets ranging from just £895 to £29,000
- 2Sub-£1,000 - currently readingWant performance car thrills for less than £1,000? Try the Fiat Coupe
- 3£1,000 - £2,500Plenty of choice for between £1,000 and £2,500 - the Mazda RX-8 is one of our favourites
- 4£2,500 - £5,000Fancy owning a Porsche for less than £5,000? The Boxster is a great used buy
- 5£5,000 - £10,000The latest Renaultsport Clio can now be had for less than £10,000
- 6£10,000 - £15,000The rally-bred Mitsubishi Evo can be yours for less than £15,000
- 7£15,000 - £20,000The mighty BMW M5 gets a 5.0-litre V10 and is now less than £20,000
- 8£20,000 - £25,000At less than £25,000, the previous-generation 911 is a superb used buy
- 9£25,000 and aboveFor less than £30,000, little comes close to the V8 Vantage for badge appeal and driving thrills