Land Rover Discovery 4 vs BMW X5
The revised Land Rover Discovery 4 takes on the BMW X5 – which is the best big SUV?
There's a huge difference in attitude between these cars, so it was always going to be tough to pick a winner. We’ve had a soft spot for the Discovery 4 since day one, and there’s no doubt that the latest version is the best yet. The breadth of its abilities is truly staggering, and its new gearbox and improved engine have closed the performance and efficiency gap to more conventional SUVs. But the BMW still outmuscles the Land Rover against the clock and at the pumps, and its dynamic handling makes it the best large SUV to drive. Ultimately, it all comes down to what you want and expect from a full-sized off-roader. The Discovery 4 is the more comfortable and practical choice. It also comes loaded with kit and won’t depreciate as quickly as the X5. In the end it takes victory – but if you want pace rather than space, the BMW is a fine alternative.
1. Land Rover Discovery 4 It’s no surprise that the Discovery 4 has remained at the top of its class for such a long time. This refreshed version only serves to strengthen its appeal. Limitless practicality, unrivalled off-road ability and superb on-road refinement more than compensate for its dynamic shortcomings. We can’t recommend the Land Rover highly enough.
2. BMW X5 Sporty and stylish X5 is faster and cleaner than the Discovery 4. If you don’t need the Land Rover’s practicality, the BMW is also a capable family car. Plus, it will meet most off-road needs – but it can’t match the Land Rover’s all-round talent. It’s the second-best full-size SUV money can buy.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingThe revised Land Rover Discovery 4 takes on the BMW X5 – which is the best big SUV?
- 21st Land Rover Discovery 4Can updates keep long-serving favourite at the top of the large SUV market?
- 32nd BMW X5 xDrive 30dCan a sportier approach help BMW claim the big SUV crown?
- 4Facts and figures