The best cars we’ve ever driven
The Auto Express team each pick the top 5 best cars they’ve ever had the fortune to drive.
When you’re in the incredibly fortunate position of being able to drive cars for a living, it’s the question you get asked more than any other. Not; ‘Why the #$*&! are you in my parking space?’ but; ‘What’s the best car you’ve ever driven?’.
Motoring journalists usually have stock answers that they trot out on such occasions. A rose-tinted memory of a great car on an epic road at a particular time that set their neck hairs tingling and their heart rate into uncharted territory, or maybe just a single moment of clarity at the wheel when they realised the people who made a certain car had hit the nail right on the head.
We wanted to get behind these default responses and find out all about the cars that really stand out for the Auto Express team, along with the moments and stories that explain why. That’s how the ‘Best cars i’ve ever driven’ series was born. In these pages the Auto Express journalists look back over their careers, and often further into their own automotive histories, to pick out their top 5 greatest drives.
You’ll find a fair number of supercars in the lists but also cars that moved the game forward with their innovation, design or technology, and cars that simply caught our writers at the right place and time to leave an indelible impression. Some of the models are available new today, others are classics from times past that might now be off the pace compared to modern equivalents but still delivered the goods in the moment. What they all have in common is that each one is brilliant in its own way.
Click the menu links to discover the best cars we’ve ever had the fortune to drive...
- 1Introduction - currently readingThe Auto Express team each pick the top 5 best cars they’ve ever had the fortune to drive.
- 2Steve Fowler - the best cars I've ever drivenOur editor-in-chief has chosen his greatest drives, including the McLaren 720S and Lotus Elan
- 3John McIlroy - the best cars I've ever drivenDeputy Editor John McIlroy looks back at the best cars he’s ever driven including the Ferrari 458 Speciale and the Talbot Sunbeam Lotus
- 4Steve Sutcliffe - the best cars I've ever drivenSteve Sutcliffe picks the 5 cars he can’t get enough of from the Ford Focus to LaFerrari and Porsche 911 GT3.
- 5Sean Carson - the best cars I've ever drivenOur chief reviewer Sean Carson picks the cars that stand out for him from Porsche’s 911 GT3 and BMW’s M3 CSL to a Tesla Model S
- 6Jonathan Burn - the best cars I've ever drivenFrom hot hatches to supercars, news and reviews editor Jonathan Burn looks back on the drives that stand out
- 7Steve Walker - the best cars I've ever drivenEverything from supercars to a supermini and an estate feature in our group web editor’s list
- 8Andy Pringle - the best cars I've ever drivenSupercar exotica are omitted from our chief sub-editor's list
- 9Richard Ingram - the best cars I've ever drivenFrom campervan to supercar to hot hatch, Richard Ingram's greatest drives might be our most varied yet