Hyundai i20 (2014 - 2020) review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
Both engines are frugal enough in the real world, but the 1.0-litre has more competitive CO2 figures
The 1.0-litre three-cylinder models are the most frugal units on paper, with the older non-turbo 1.2 models delivering only similar numbers, despite their performance deficit. The lesser-powered 1.0-litre unit achieves figures of 50.4mpg and 127g/km with the auto 'box, while the manual version is only slightly down on these numbers. The 118bhp version is marginally less frugal in official tests, capable of 47.1mpg and 137g/km.
The 74bhp and 83bhp 1.2-litre petrol variants sit pretty much between the two for efficiency with both variants achieving 47.9mpg and CO2 emissions of 134g/km.
Choose the most powerful engine in the i20 range, and you're still only looking at a group 12 rating. That's a good 4-5 insurance groups below rivals like the Citroen C3, even though the i20 is a more powerful car. The 1.2-litre versions are in group six, which should make them ideal choices for new or inexperienced drivers.
The Hyundai i20 compares decently with rivals when the time comes to sell on. Predicted residuals of around 38% (after three years and 36,000 miles) are close to the VW Polo's 42%, and far better than the Citroen C3, which keeps around 32% of its original list price over the three-year period.
In this review
- 1Hyundai i20 reviewThe Hyundai i20 is a spacious supermini that takes on the Ford Fiesta and VW Polo
- 2Engines, performance and drivePunchy turbo petrols are the ones to go for, as the revvy 1.2 feels slow in comparison
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingBoth engines are frugal enough in the real world, but the 1.0-litre has more competitive CO2 figures
- 4Interior, design and technologySmart on the outside, plain on the inside, but the infotainment system is among the best in the class.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceLong wheelbase boosts versatility, and i20 is one of the roomiest superminis on sale
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe i20's five-year warranty gives peace of mind, while Hyundai customer satisfaction is improving.