Safest small family car: Mercedes A-Class
As well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
The latest Mercedes A-Class is the second version to come in a compact hatchback shape, and it offers more space, quality and technology than the last model. It's also more efficient and better to drive than ever, while the safety features have helped it to earn Euro NCAP's best Small Family Car safety award in 2018.
High scores for adult occupant protection (96%), child occupant safety (91%) and pedestrian protection (92%) set new standards in the class, and a 75% score for its safety assist systems is also strong.
That stylish body houses a suite of safety systems that help the A-Class to achieve these scores. There is the usual set of airbags, including a knee bag for the driver, plus seatbelt pre-tensioners and load limiters on all seats. Mercedes's Pre-Safe primes all of the car's safety systems to best protect occupants in an accident - it even emits a sound that causes occupants' hearing to help their bodies cope with a sudden impact.
Pedestrian safety is boosted by a pop-up bonnet, while the autonomous emergency braking is designed to detect pedestrians, slow-moving cyclists and can even detect pedestrians stepping out from behind parked cars. Add in lane assist and intelligent adaptive cruise control that can bring the car to a complete stop from speeds of up to 155mph, and the A-Class deserves its Euro NCAP award.
Safest small family cars - previous winners
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-Class - currently readingAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers