Polestar 2 review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
Good range and low electric running costs make the Polestar 2 a practical family choice.
There’s no getting away from it - the Polestar 2 is an expensive car to buy or lease. With a list price starting from around £47,000 (including the Government’s plug-in car grant) or monthly lease payments of well over £500 per month, the pathway to Polestar ownership will cost you.
However, the Polestar 2 is cheaper to buy than a Tesla Model 3, and once you begin to factor in the lower running costs of an electric car, compared to its fossil fuel rivals, then the benefits of running an EV become clearer.
With the Polestar’s 78kWh battery supplying 72.5kWh of actual usable energy, a full charge from empty should cost an average of just over £10. The 2 has an efficiency rate of 3.2 miles for every kWh of energy used, which gives a realistic range of 232 miles.
If you were to cover 12,000 miles over a year, you’d be looking at an annual energy bill of just £540. In comparison, a similarly priced, diesel-powered Audi S5 Sportback would cost an average of £1,700 over the same mileage.
The Polestar 2 sits in group 42 for insurance, although the Tesla Model 3 will incur higher premiums as it occupies groups 48-50. The Tesla was judged by industry testers, Thatcham Research, to only offer ‘basic’ levels of protection for vehicle security, and so incurs higher insurance costs.
Data suggests the Polestar 2 will be a strong performer on the second-hand market. After 3 years and 36,000 miles the Swedish hatchback is predicted to hold on to around 60% of its original list price, which puts it right up at the top of the class.
In this review
- 1Polestar 2 reviewThe stylish, all-electric Polestar 2 oozes quality and is a great alternative to a Tesla.
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Polestar 2 is quick, but it can't quite match the pace of the Tesla Model 3.
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costs - currently readingGood range and low electric running costs make the Polestar 2 a practical family choice.
- 4Interior, design and technologyPolestar has engineered plenty of quality, style and great tech into the 2.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceGood range, a comfortable cabin and a practical hatchback body style will attract customers to the Polestar 2.
- 6Reliability and safetyPolestar includes a great level of safety kit for the 2, while reliability should prove to be equally sound.