Hankook i*cept RS3 review
The Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
The i*cept RS3 made its test debut last year in 16-inch form and finished third, although there was a gap to the Bridgestone and Continental pacesetters. That margin has reduced a little this time around, with dry and wet performance improved.
Hankook has focused on these elements at the expense of snow grip, where it was the least comfortable. It was fifth in Sweden, although near the pace.
It came alive in the dry, with deft direction changes and high grip levels. The tyre didn’t feel the sharpest, but was the most effective and took a clear win in dry handling. The RS3 was also close to the leaders in dry braking.
Wet grip was good too, with the i*cept second to the Continental across the tests. But fuel economy remains a weak point.
Hankook has come up with a well balanced performance for its latest winter tyre, with the only doubt being over fuel economy.
Customers have rated the tyre with an overall score of 4.3 out of 5 and compliment good control and grip while driving in icy conditions.
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe push a selection of winter tyres to the max in all conditions to see which is Britain's best
- 2Continental WinterContact TS 870A strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
- 3Bridgestone Blizzak LM005The Blizzak LM005 won our snow braking and snow traction tests, and was close to taking top spot overall
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
- 5Hankook i*cept RS3 - currently readingThe Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
- 6Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2The Pirelli was on the pace in the dry, but struggled for stability in the downhill stop
- 7Michelin Alpin 6Fuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
- 8Vredestein Wintrac ProThe Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
- 9Alternative tyre choicesNot sure about winter tyres? Here are two other options
- 10Results by categoryWhich winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all