Michelin Alpin 6 review
Fuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
The Alpin 6 is another veteran from the 2019 test, but while it couldn’t repeat its third place from that test, it is still a similar distance behind the winner.
It was happiest in the wet last time but the bar has been raised there, and here it was closest to the front in the snow, where it was third across the pair of tests.
The Alpin 6 slipped to sixth best in the wet tests, a little more than two per cent behind the pacesetters. It had a safe front-limited balance around the handling track.
In the dry that balance was there again, plus a slightly earlier ebbing of grip than with its rivals. Fuel economy has improved over time, and it is now a match for the best. Sadly, the same can’t be said for cabin noise, where it finished last, as in 2019.
Good all-round performance from a five-year-old design, up against newer competitors that benefit from the latest technology.
This tyre has impressed customers with its excellent grip and complete winter performance. It has achieved an overall score of 4.5 out of 5.
|Michelin Alpin 6
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe push a selection of winter tyres to the max in all conditions to see which is Britain's best
- 2Continental WinterContact TS 870A strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
- 3Bridgestone Blizzak LM005The Blizzak LM005 won our snow braking and snow traction tests, and was close to taking top spot overall
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
- 5Hankook i*cept RS3The Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
- 6Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2The Pirelli was on the pace in the dry, but struggled for stability in the downhill stop
- 7Michelin Alpin 6 - currently readingFuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
- 8Vredestein Wintrac ProThe Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
- 9Alternative tyre choicesNot sure about winter tyres? Here are two other options
- 10Results by categoryWhich winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all