Winter tyre reviews 2023: results by category
Which winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all
Newer arrivals have raised the performance bar in our winter tyre test, but Vredestein has yet to join them. A replacement or update for the Wintrac Pro is needed if the Dutch tyre is to get in among the pacesetters.
There is little to choose between the next four. The Michelin Alpin 6 is wearing its age well, but rivals have the edge over the French design in most areas.
Pirelli needs to balance the Cinturato Winter 2’s snow performance with an improvement in wet grip, while Hankook’s product development team has a good platform to build on with the Winter i*cept RS3.
It is a promising debut for Goodyear’s newest UltraGrip tyre, with the Performance 3 proving to be the deep-water star in this year’s evaluation in Germany.
Bridgestone has to settle for its second runner-up finish on the trot with the Blizzak LM005, but it remains a good choice. The Continental WinterContact TS 870 retains our winter tyre crown, thanks to an all-round good performance.
Continental WinterContact TS 870
A second successive win for the TS 870, which again delivered a well balanced performance. It was on the pace in the Swedish snow, but it was its excellent dry and wet performance in Germany that delivered another victory. The Continental was also the best for fuel economy and battery range.
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe push a selection of winter tyres to the max in all conditions to see which is Britain's best
- 2Continental WinterContact TS 870A strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
- 3Bridgestone Blizzak LM005The Blizzak LM005 won our snow braking and snow traction tests, and was close to taking top spot overall
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
- 5Hankook i*cept RS3The Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
- 6Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2The Pirelli was on the pace in the dry, but struggled for stability in the downhill stop
- 7Michelin Alpin 6Fuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
- 8Vredestein Wintrac ProThe Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
- 9Alternative tyre choicesNot sure about winter tyres? Here are two other options
- 10Results by category - currently readingWhich winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all