Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 review
The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
The UltraGrip Performance 3 makes its test debut after its launch was delayed last year. Wet performance is a Goodyear speciality and it’s the same here, with the UltraGrip top in both deep-water aquaplaning tests. It was no slouch in the shallower water tests either, with a joint fourth in braking.
It inspired confidence on the handling circuit, where it was easy to take to the limit and stay there without worrying about snap rear slides. The UltraGrip needed a bit more steering than the Continental and wasn’t as sharp, but it’s a great tyre in the wet, finishing just behind the Hankook.
The Goodyear was also on the pace in the dry, finishing second to the WinterContact. It dropped to fourth in the snow tests, but was still close to the leaders.
This is an impressive debut from the latest UltraGrip, which is ideal for the UK’s wet winters and those who prioritise a quiet tyre.
The Goodyear is too new for us to be able to provide any insight into the tyre’s popularity or performance with our customers at present.
|Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3
In this review
- 1IntroductionWe push a selection of winter tyres to the max in all conditions to see which is Britain's best
- 2Continental WinterContact TS 870A strong all-round showing put the Continental into a lead over arch rival Bridgestone that it never lost
- 3Bridgestone Blizzak LM005The Blizzak LM005 won our snow braking and snow traction tests, and was close to taking top spot overall
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 - currently readingThe Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 3 is a great all-round tyre in winter conditions
- 5Hankook i*cept RS3The Hankook i*cept RS3 came alive in the dry and wet, but it comes at the expense of grip in the snow
- 6Pirelli Cinturato Winter 2The Pirelli was on the pace in the dry, but struggled for stability in the downhill stop
- 7Michelin Alpin 6Fuel economy has improved over time, but sadly the same cannot be said for cabin noise
- 8Vredestein Wintrac ProThe Wintrac Pro was at its weakest in the wet, where lacked the balance of its rivals
- 9Alternative tyre choicesNot sure about winter tyres? Here are two other options
- 10Results by categoryWhich winter tyre performed well in which area? Our tables reveal all