Renault ZOE review - Reliability and safety
The Zoe's reassuring five-year warranty and excellent safety rating provide peace of mind, while customer feedback is positive, too
Renault builds the Zoe alongside its more conventional Clio stablemate in Flins, France, where the battery and electric motor technology has been rigorously tested.
Safety shouldn’t be too much of a concern. The i Iconic models feature rear parking sensors, a lane departure warning, a lane keep assist system, automatic high/low beam and traffic sign recognition, while i GT Line cars add a blind spot warning and a reversing camera.
Euro NCAP awarded the Zoe a full five-stars for safety, with an 89% score for adult occupant protection and an 80% rating for child passenger security.
An indication of customer confidence in Renault's all-electric supermini is the Zoe's solid finish in our 2020 Driver Power survey, where it placed 37th out of 75 cars. Renault as a brand also showed improvement, with customer feedback placing the manufacturer in 13th position out of 30 car makers - up from 19th spot in 2019.
The Zoe is covered by a five-year warranty with unlimited mileage during the first 24 months, then limited to a total of 100,000 miles or five years - whichever comes first. The battery on the Zoe also comes with a separate 8 year/100,000 mile warranty.
Service inspections are required annually, or every 18,000 miles. Renault also offers its EasyLife service plans for the Zoe - covering three years/30,000 miles, or four years/40,000 miles.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe Renault Zoe continues to lead the way as the go-to small, affordable electric car
- 2Engines, performance and driveIt’s quick off the mark, and now has added range – although the Zoe runs out of puff on motorways
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe Zoe's increased driving range and improved residual values should inspire confidence
- 4Interior, design and technologyThere are plenty of gadgets and gizmos, but some systems are fiddly and quality could be improved
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceWith improved range and access to faster charging options, the Zoe is as practical as any other supermini on the market
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe Zoe's reassuring five-year warranty and excellent safety rating provide peace of mind, while customer feedback is positive, too