Used Volkswagen Polo (Mk5, 2009-2017) – What do owners think?
The Mk5 VW Polo struggled in our Driver Power surveys, but owners did like the fuel economy and running costs
Despite its premium status, the Polo never excelled in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys. In 2016, it failed to get into the top 150; in 2017 it managed 59th. The only impressive rating was for fuel economy and running costs, with infotainment close behind. Everything else failed to hit the spot, with owners particularly dissatisfied with its reliability, performance and seat comfort.
The pre-facelift Polo finished our Driver Power 2014 satisfaction survey in a lowly 119th place, then it slumped to 167th in 2015.
The Mk6 Polo promises to be more reliable, although 48th out of 75 cars in our 2021 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey leaves room for improvement. The Kia Rio (2nd), Vauxhall Corsa (28th), Renault Clio (29th) and Honda Jazz (33rd) ranked higher than the Polo.
Volkswagen finished a middling 17th out of 29 brands in our 2021 Driver Power survey of manufacturers. A score of 85.97 per cent placed VW below sister brand SEAT but higher than Audi in 23rd. Given that the Polo shares a lot in common with the Ibiza, you might be tempted to look at the cheaper SEAT.
The Polo’s popularity ensures there are a lot of used cars to choose from, so you can afford to be picky. You’ll save money by using an independent Volkswagen specialist rather than relying on the manufacturer’s dealer network.
In this review
- 1Used Volkswagen Polo (Mk5, 2009-2017) reviewThe ageing Volkswagen Polo is still a front-runner in the supermini class, but rivals are cheaper
- 2How much will it cost?Engines return excellent economy, and residual values are among the strongest in class, offsetting the Polo’s high price
- 3How practical is it?The VW Polo isn't the most practical supermini, but it's not at all bad. Stick with the five-door version though
- 4What’s it like to drive?A wide range of excellent petrol and diesel engines work well with the refined manners of the Polo
- 5What should you look for?The Polo’s reputation for quality is undermined by a poor showing in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingThe Mk5 VW Polo struggled in our Driver Power surveys, but owners did like the fuel economy and running costs