Used Volkswagen Tiguan (Mk1, 2008-2016) – What do owners think?
Owners complain of reliability issues and high running costs, but the Mk1 Tiguan shares plenty of parts with the dependable Golf
The Volkswagen Tiguan finished a lowly 102nd out of the 200 cars that scored in the 2015 Driver Power survey, which may be partially down to the car's age. Volkswagen took 22nd position out of the 32 manufacturers rated.
A year later, the Tiguan was ranked 92nd out of 150 cars, with owners criticising its reliability, high running costs and uncomfortable suspension. That said, all parts are tried and tested, and the Volkswagen Tiguan even shares components with the reliable Volkswagen Golf.
Volkswagen finished a middling 17th out of 29 brands in our 2021 Driver Power survey of manufacturers. A score of 85.97 per cent placed VW below sister brand SEAT but higher than Audi in 23rd. The badge might be premium, but the service is often anything but.
The current Volkswagen Tiguan is no better than the Mk1. In the latest 2021 survey, the Tiguan finished 62nd out of 75, making it one of the lowest-ranked SUVs. It speaks volumes that Volkswagen offers a three-year warranty, while Kia and Hyundai cover their cars for seven and five years respectively.
In this review
- 1Used Volkswagen Tiguan (Mk1, 2008-2016) reviewThe VW Tiguan is a popular alternative to the Skoda Yeti, with smart styling and a wide range of engines
- 2How much will it cost?Strong residual values mean the Tiguan is more expensive than many rival SUVs
- 3How practical is it?Few SUV rivals can match the Tiguan’s practicality, with room for five people and a big boot
- 4What’s it like to drive?It’s a little less comfortable than some rival SUVs, but it’s also better to drive. The diesel engines deliver excellent fuel economy
- 5What should you look for?Don’t let the premium badge fool you, because the Tiguan has its fair share of problems
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingOwners complain of reliability issues and high running costs, but the Mk1 Tiguan shares plenty of parts with the dependable Golf