Vredestein Quatrac Lite tyre review
All-season tyre promises grip in any weather
Some people argue an all-season tyre is the ideal choice for the UK’s largely temperate weather. Critics say these designs are a compromise all year round – so we included the Quatrac Lite to see how it compared.
Specialist winter tyres are better on snow, but the all-season was only around seven per cent off the winner, and a long way ahead ofthe summer tyre, which was around 65 per cent shy.
The gap to the best was similar in the wet, and you could feel it on the handling track, where it slid around more than winter rivals in low temperatures. Again, it was better than the summer option – this time by around 10 per cent.
It has a slight edge in the dry and fuel economy was close to the best winter tyres’. So if cold weather rubber isn’t an option, all-season tyres provide a bigger overall safety margin in all conditions than a summer design.
In this review
- 1IntroductionOur experts pick from eight of the best winter tyres for 2014
- 21. Continental ContiWinterContact TS 850Good all-round performance with few compromises make this a winter tyre winner.
- 32. Nokian WR D3Top performer on snow and in dry conditions in the cold, but not the cheapest to run.
- 43. Goodyear UltraGrip 9An excellent debut in our test, with good performance on snow and wet roads.
- 54. Uniroyal MS plus 77
- 65. Michelin Alpin A4Its days on sale are numbered, but this winter tyre is still well worth considering.
- 76. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DSecure and safe, although rivals have the edge over this tyre in most tests.
- 87. Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 3Competent, but aquaplaning performance needs looking at, as does fuel efficiency.
- 98. Hankook Winter iCept RSA keenly priced tyre, but you will pay for that at the pumps over time.
- 10All-season tyre: Vredestein Quatrac Lite - currently readingAll-season tyre promises grip in any weather
- 11Summer tyre: Goodyear EfficientGrip PerformanceSummer tyre tested in winter conditions
- 12Results by category & overall verdictTest-by-test scores show you which tyre performed well where - plus our overall verdict